Friday, July 10, 2015

Rumpled Ripple Rainbow Crochet Baby Afghan Pattern




After I finished my Rumpled Ripple Scarf I knew my next project would be to expand that pattern into an afghan size.  The pattern in essentially the same but for the afghan (and anything larger than a scarf) the foundation chain will need to be more repeats.



This pattern is so squishy and soft and I knew it would make a perfect baby blanket.  I chose an a rainbow of colors, making it as bright and colorful as possible.  This blanket is off to Sweden to the newest baby in our family.



This pattern uses US crochet terms.  I used a variety of acrylic worsted weight yarn. The colors I used
Red - Red Heart Soft Really Red
Orange - Red Heart Super Saver Pumpkin
Yellow- Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Radiant Yellow
Light Green - Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Radiant Lime
Dark Green - Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Kelley Green
Blue Red Heart Soft Teal
Purple - Stitch Studio by Nicole Story Book Lullaby Mulberry
The hook I used was size I.  This finished size of this blanket was about 38" square but your project may end up larger or smaller depending on your hook, yarn and tension.  It may be best to stitch of a swatch of several rows of 1-2 repeats then calculate how many repeats you want based on the finished size you are wanting.


Rumpled Ripples Rainbow Baby Afghan

Special Stitches


Cobble Pattern - alternating dc and sc (each segment of the cobble pattern will be 7 stitches long and start and end with double crochet)

Increase - sc, dc, sc all in the same st

Decrease (worked over 3 stitches)- insert hook into the st, yo, pull up a loop, skip the next st, insert hook into the next st, yo, pull up a loop, yo and pull through all three loops on the hook

Beginning of row decrease (worked over the first 2 stitches of each row starting with row 2)- insert hook into the st, yo and pull up a loop, yo and insert hook into the next st, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 2 loops, yo and pull through all three loops on the hook - This stitch counts as a dc

End of row decrease (worked over the last 2 stitches of each row starting with row 2) - yo and insert the hook into the st, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 2 loops, insert the hook into the next st, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through all three loops on the hook- This stitch counts as a dc


Pattern

Video tutorial of this stitch pattern can be found HERE

Foundation chain: ch multiples of 18 -1 (17, 35, 53, 71 etc)  For this afghan I did 9 repeats and my foundation chain was 161.

Row 1: dc in 3rd ch from hook (counts as the first dc in the cobble pattern), *work the cobble pattern for a total of 7 stitches up the side of the front mountain.  Increase in the next ch, work the cobble for a total of 7 stitches down the back side of the mountain, decrease over the next 3 stitches, repeat from * across.  Do not work the final decrease at the very end, just end with the 7 stitches down the back side of the last mountain. Ch 1 turn.

Row 2: Work beginning of row decrease over the first 2 stitches (counts as the first dc of the cobble pattern), *work the cobble pattern for 7 stitches up the front side of the mountain, increase, work cobble pattern for 7 stitches down the back side of the mountain, decrease over the next 3 st, repeat from * across.  Do not work the final decrease, instead work the end of row decrease over the last 2 stitches (will count as the last dc in the cobble pattern), ch 1 turn.

Row 3 and onward: Repeat row 2 changing colors as you like until your project is as long as  you like.  For my project I did 3 rows of each color before changing to the next color.  For the best results from this pattern I recommend using as least 2 colors.

To change colors:  

I find I get the best results if I change colors by finishing the last stitch of the row with the new color.  For this pattern that will be the End of Row Decrease stitch.  Work the stitch as normal but just before the final "yarn over and pull through all three loops on the hook" drop the working yarn to the back, and holding the new color yarn from the back work the final "yarn over and pull through all three loops on the hook" in the new yarn.  The tails from this color change will need to be woven into the work with a yarn needle at the end.

This pattern and these photos are my own work.  Please link back to this blog post when sharing.  Thank you!

You may also like
Rainbow Swirl Bonnet
Sunshine and Rainbow Bonnet
Simple and Sweet Baby Afghan

36 comments:

  1. I love the texture in this ripple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I did the foundation chain of 161 and I have 8 stitches leftover at the end of the row1. I have double checked against pattern . did I make a mistake or is this how the first row should end? thanks so much!

      Delete
    4. No you shouldn't have any left. Count the "chain on stitches again. You can do this by turning your chaining row upside down. Then check your stitches, make sure they are increased and decreased where they should be. I hope I haven't stepped on the designers toes. My apologies in advance. I love ripple patterns, they work up fast and can be done to look different in many ways. I haven't worked this particular pattern so don't know if there was a typo in it. I have crocheted over 40 years. Love it! Going to make this pattern up next. Can we post our finished ones to you? Thanks, Jody.

      Delete
    5. thank you for answering. I never saw this comment but your comment showed up for me. You can post photos on the ravelry page or on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KatieCooksandCrafts

      Delete
    6. You are most welcome. I am excited to finish this pattern. I will post it when finished. Thank you so much!

      Delete
    7. late the the party, and this might have already been solved, but I wonder if, since there are 9 repeats, you've somehow missed skipping the stitch at the centre of the decrease in the valleys? there should be 8 valley decreases across the row (correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong) and those are worked as [incomplete sc, skip next st, incomplete sc - join together with first incomplete st - 3 sts reduced to 2]. This is first worked at roughly 26:30 in the scarf tutorial video.

      Delete
    8. aaand that is a [3st reduced to 1] decrease (I was visualising this while trying to get to sleep last night, it's the reverse of the work [3sts into 1 st] increase on the peaks)

      Delete
  3. It's gorgeous...how much yarn did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this -- such a happy mix of colors and the texture is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you tell me an estimate of the amount of yarn you used? I am trying to make a larger afghan and wanted to make sure I had enough. I have viewed your tutorial which was well made and I live this pattern and look. This was a job well done by you. Thank you in advance. Brenda Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I am curious about how much yarn you used for each color. I am looking to make this for a girlfriend and want to make sure I get enough yarn, so I'm not having to run out to get more.

    Please let me know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the baby blanket size 38 inches square I used less than 2 skeins each color. The skeins were about 3-4 ounces each. hth

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there any web store where I can buy all of the yarn used here? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I love the twist on a traditional ripple and the colors are so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you say approximately how many balls of yarn you used? Love this patter. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops never mind, I just saw yoyr reply to the same question by someone else. ☺

      Delete
  11. Can you say approximately how many balls of yarn you used? Love this patter. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Katie! I made your beautiful blanket for my thirty-something cousin who is having her first miracle baby! She became pregnant through IVF and she'll be having Baby Willow in late July. She told me that the rainbow is a symbol for IVF babies. I have a photo of it if you are interested. I used Big Twist yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm confused about the multiples of 18 + 1, multiples of 18 are 144, 162 and 180 so if I do the same starting chain as you 161, it should be 162 + 1 should be 163 ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! Perfect! Searching for a pattern to use up as much yarn as I can. I have everything except the light green. Cobble stitch is new to me; I hope it is faster to do than the Catherine's Wheel, my current fav! Thank you, thank you for this most beautiful new stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katie, thought you would like to know this site is using your work and posting in crochet groups on facebook:
    http://crochetspiration.club/baby-blanket-crumpled-afghan-crochet-pattern/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World’s Top Social Trading Network!

    Join millions who have already discovered easier strategies for investing in Ripple.

    Learn from experienced eToro traders or copy their positions automatically!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I not only love the colors and texture, but I love how you used, and named, each yarn and colorway! I find it hard to find every single color I have in my minds eye from one yarn line. It is not easy to mix and match across brands, etc, with the way matching label info (ie. med. 4 worsted weight) because the same labeled thickness of the yarn strand can be vary greatly. For example, the following 3 yarns are common in the US and are all labled as med 4, worsted weight, yet cannot be more different in strand thickness:
    Read Heart Unforgettable - Thin
    Caron Simply Soft - A true 4 med worsted in my mind. Thicker than Red Heart Unforgettable, yet soft and supple.
    Red Heart Super Saver - Thick, but not chunky. Feels sturdy, stiff and scratchy go work with, but transforms when the FO is laundered with attention to softening (I give it a several deep tissue (er.. fiber!) massages with hair conditioner, with long soaks between conditioner massages in my sink. Voila! Superman's Cape no longer looks starched. it now flaps supply in the wind!
    You gave us name brand yarns that work well together as they are very similar! Saves us so much trial and error as well as money! Thank You!
    And that stitch is FABULOUS! I made my granddaughter's baby blanket with that stitch and the texture it creates is squishy and cuddly It also adds visual interest and is a very simple stitch pattern to remember.. and when distracted its very easy to visually see which stitch comes next! Good job making a ripple stitch with it!
    Nothing but great things in this blog post and the information you provided! Thank you for sharing what you've already figured out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen on the differences in strand weight between brands and even between lines within brands! I Love the Red Heart Super Saver softening technique! Hair condition huh? I have to give it a try. Was given a beautiful Cherry colored yarn but it's so rough I haven't used it yet. Was actually thinking of doing tight afghans to donate to the animal shelter. Such a waste for such a beautiful color, but. So I will swatch and try. The yarn isn't Red Heart, but...if it works, my daughter has her pretty pink afghan!

      Delete
  18. Absolutely wonderful pattern, directions, info to help you size to your own desires and tutorial are all so well done, Thank you! I made 1 in 2 colors to match the receivers desires and enlarged to approx. 38x48". This was made for my daughters girlfriends 4th boy and she likes the larger (crib size) blankets. All her boys still use the ones I have made. I have always loved the Cobble Stitch, but put into a ripple -- ohhhh the texture and cuddliness, sigh. Who could resist, especially a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is hands down my favorite one to make as a gift and a great way to use up my left over yarn stash

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving this pattern. Any suggestions for a suitable border please?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Blog writers like you are really few on Net as well as I am happy to found you. It's like finding a pearl in the sea, challenging yet rewarding. Best wishes and pertains to.
    Rainbow Themed Baby Gifts

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!