Friday, February 21, 2014

Tetracuspid Hypocycloid Crochet Pattern

This pattern makes tetracuspid hypocycloids.  Ah, What?!  You know the little star-like symbols on the Pittsburgh Steelers logo?  Those are tetracuspids hypocycloids, also known as astroids, also known as paracycles, also known as those little colored stars on the Pittsburgh Steelers logo.  There is even a mathematical calculation to that funny little shape.  Alas, you are not here for me to explain mathematics, you are here for crochet patterns.

This pattern can used to make appliques to add to another project but what I have in mind is for these to be a set of coasters.  I made these in the Pittsburgh Steelers logo colors but these could be made in any color.  You need something to set your Yuengling down on when you are watching football, right?


This pattern uses US crochet terms.  I used worsted weight yarn and size G crochet hook.   If you have any questions about this pattern, leave me a comment and I will do my best to help.



Tetracuspid Hypocycloid Pattern

For this pattern cluster = [sc, hdc, dc, ch1, dc, hdc, sc]
  1. Ch 3 , sl st in 3rd ch from hook to form a ring
  2. ch 2, 12 hdc in ring, sl st to top of beginning ch 2 to join
  3. ch 2, 1hdc in the first st, 2 hdc in the next 11 st around, sl st to top of beginning ch to join
  4. ch 1, *skip 1 st, cluster in the next st, skip 1 st, 1 sc in next 3 st,  repeat from * 3 more times, sl st to beginning ch1 to join.
  5. Ch1, *skip 1 st sc2tog, cluster in next ch 1 space, sc2tog [see note], skip 1 st, 1 sc in next 3 st, repeat from * 3 more times, sl st to beginning ch1 to join
  6. ch 1, skip 1 st, 1 sc, *sc2tog,  cluster in ch 1 space, sc2tog, 1 sc, skip 1 st, 1 sc in next 3 st, skip 1 st, repeat from * 3 more times, sl st to beginning ch1 to join.
  7. Weave in ends and block lightly with steam iron,
     [note] Since the cluster is so many stitches in a single stitch it will most likely be covering the first stitch of the sc2tog.  Be sure to pull the cluster back to expose that hidden stitch.

    Feel free to make this pattern for yourself or as a gift, please link to the original pattern when sharing.


[pattern edited 8/19/15]

12 comments:

  1. So excited to find this! Just had a friend ask me to make her a steelers hat! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh........love, love love these!! Thank you soon much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question concerning a decrease in size for this pattern. Im tryna put the symbol on a hat and its too big! Help! And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are quite bit for a hat. I use mine as coasters and they would work as applique on a blanket or large project. To decrease the size you would need to use thinner yarn and a smaller hook. Leaving off the last round may help as well. Good luck with your project!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for this!! My friend just had twin boys and I'm making her blankets in Pittsburgh Steelers colors and these will be a nice touch. I can't thank you enough 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nyesha!
      I am attempting a baby blanket for my first great grandson. I had made a blanket in the Dolphin's colors years ago so naturally it was " Nana can you make me a Steelers baby blanket?"
      I have been stumped for days with the colors being black and gold - not very newbornish! I would love to see or hear how you accomplished this project. And, I really got excited to see these "diamond " shapes and am trying to figure out how to make this baby blanket.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this!! My friend just had twin boys and I'm making her blankets in Pittsburgh Steelers colors and these will be a nice touch. I can't thank you enough 😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge Steelers fan and want to make a hat and thought it would be great if I could put the logo in it. I've recently been playing with crocheting with thin thread/ small hooks (Embroidery thread/steel hooks). I'm going to see if I can make these small enough to still look right and put on the hat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought a matching bed in a bag of the Steelers for my husband and I wanted a blanket to match now I can make my own. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is a huge Steelers fan and has been asking me for a blanket since I learned to crochet, but black yarn is EVIL....lol. Some friends recently found out they were having a boy so I am doing a Steelers football lovey for them, so my husband gets his wish. I will be using this as appliques on both. Thank you so much for making this pattern. I would never have figured it out on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to share this page to a lady I came to know who wanted to know how to fix this logo on a crochet blanket for her daughter this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you tried at making them bigger? Also, can you list what the names of the colors were?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!