Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Basket Weave Beverage Cozy



Keep your beer or beverage cold and stylish with this basket weave beverage cozy.  This pattern and video will show you how to make a bottle version and a can version.  It can also be easily made larger with the adjustments.



This pattern is my own creation, please link back to this original pattern when sharing.





This pattern uses US crochet terms,  I used acrylic worsted weight yarn and a size H crochet hook.  If you have any questions, leave a comment and I will do my best to help you out.

Beverage Cozy / Koozie

Bottom:
Can or Bottle:
Round 1) Ch 3, sl st into 3rd ch from the hook to form a ring, ch 3 (counts as dc), put 11 more dc in the ring, sl st to top of beginning ch 3 to join the round.  
Round 2) Ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around. 

To Make a Larger Cozy:
Continue adding rounds to make the bottom as large as needed.  Add enough increases (2 dc in the same st) to keep the bottom flat.  To few increases and the bottom will begin to cup, too many increases and it may begin to ruffle.  A general rule of thumb is to increase the stitches between the increases by 1 on each round such as:
Round 3) 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, repeat
Round 4) 1 dc in next 2 st, 2 dc in next st, repeat
Round 5) 1 dc in next 3 st, 2 dc in next st, repeat

The most important thing is the final number of stitches in the round must be a multiple of 6.

Sides: 
Once your bottom is as large as you need it to be, join the final round by slip stitching into the front loop of the top of the beginning ch 3.

Foundation row: 1 dc in the same front loop, 1 dc in the front loop of each st around, sl st into the top of the beginning ch 3.

Row 1-3) Ch 3, * 1 fpdc in the next 3 st, 1 bpdc in the next 3 st, repeat from * around, sl st into the top of the beginning ch 3.

Row 4-6) Ch 3, * 1 bpdc in the next 3 st, 1 fpdc in the next 3 st, repeat from * around, sl st into the top of the beginning ch 3.

Row 7-9) repeat row 1-3 -stop here for can size

Row 10-12) repeat row 4-6 - stop here for bottle size

For larger cozies continue adding rows, alternating rows 1-3 and rows 4-6


This pattern is my own creation, please link back to this original pattern when sharing.

Check out some of my other crochet patterns
Beginner's Washcloth
Rainbow Swirl Bonnet
Leprechaun or Pilgrim Hat Coaster
Football Coaster




8 comments:

  1. Love this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time doing this pattern. Worked great and was super easy. Thank you for a great video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time doing this pattern. Worked great and was super easy. Thank you for a great video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question on the yarn...should I get a certain yarn to match the hook. My circle just didn't look as defined and bulky as yours. I am super new at this, found some yarn at a thrift store. Any help is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question on the yarn...should I get a certain yarn to match the hook. My circle just didn't look as defined and bulky as yours. I am super new at this, found some yarn at a thrift store. Any help is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your yarn still has a label on it, it might tell you what size hook to use. A smaller hook might help or just holding a bit more tension on your yarn. Good luck

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern! You make the basket weave look a lot less intimidating than I had originally thought. I created a crochet koozie round-up and linked to your pattern. Happy Hooking!
    http://confidentlyclueless.com/2016/08/10/krazy-about-koozies/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stumbled on your pattern to get quick Christmas gifts using left over yarns and fell in love immediately with this simple yet beautiful pattern.
    Thank you so much for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!