Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Simple Polka Dot Headband


Here is a quick and easy headband.  Add a punch of color to brighten up any outfit.  They are so quick and easy you can make one for every day of the week.

This pattern uses US crochet terms.  If you have any questions about this pattern, leave a comment and I will do my best to help you out.

You only need scraps of worsted weight yarn to make this project.  You can make it as long as you want to fit any size head from adult to baby, or make it even smaller and wear it as a bracelet.  I made this pattern with a size G crochet hook but any similar sized hook will work.





Simple Polka Dot Headband

Measure around your head plus 8 inches (4 inches on each tie) to get the total length of your finished headband.  The headband I made has 9 circles.  You can make as many circles as you want, just adjust the length of the ties to make your headband long enough.

For the circles:
make a magic circle, ch 3 (counts as the first dc) then put 11 more dc in the ring, join with a sl st into the top of the beginning ch 3 to join the round, fasten off, weave in ends.

Or

Ch 3, sl st into the 3rd ch from the hook to form a ring, ch 3 (counts as first dc) put 11 more dc in the ring, sl st into the top of the beginning ch 3 to join the round, fasten off, weave in ends.

With the contrasting yarn:
ch 44 (or as long as needed), join onto the first circle by inserting the hook into any st from the front side.  Yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through both loops on the hook then *2 sc in the next 5 st.  Insert the hook into the next st, then into any st of the next circle from the back side (the 2 circles should be stacked, back sides facing each other) yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through both loops on the hook, repeat from * until all the circles are joined.  In the last circle added, 2 sc in the next 5 st, 1 sc in the next sc, fasten off.

Turn the work upside down and repeat.  (Make a chain for the second tie, attach into the same st you just worked into before fastening off, then 2 sc in next 5 st, the next st was were the circles were joined, insert the hook through the stitches of both circles, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through both loops on the hook, then continue on the second circle with 2 sc in the next 5 st.  Continue to the end, place 1 sc in the last st (same st that the first tie was attached))  

weave in ends, tie overhand knots at the ends of your ch ties and clip excess yarn from the ends of the ties.

This post was submitted to Hookin on Hump Day on Moogly

9 comments:

  1. Very cute! Thank you for the pattern, my daughters will love these

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you (and your daughter) like my pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. too cute. Will have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'd love to see pictures if you make this. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm going to use your pattern for teaching crochet to 4th/5th grade students at our kid's choice day event next month. I'll make all the participants a headband and show them the steps to make their own. I like that it is a simple, beginner project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this for my Granddaughter today. It didn't turn out as well as yours but still very cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute pattern easy to follow. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!