Thursday, January 30, 2014

Seasoned Almonds

I had a bunch of raw almonds and needed a snack, like a snack attack came down upon me in a real way.  This is what I came up with.

Seasoned Almonds
1 egg white + a drizzle of water
3.5 cups raw almonds
1 teaspoon salt

Variation #1 - Cinnamon Sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Variation #2
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon cumin

Preheat oven to 300 F. Beat the egg whites and water until foamy. This isnt anywhere near peaks of any kind but there is alot of air incorporated so there is a significant increase in volume. I beat mine with a fork (by hand) for about 2 minutes. Dump the almonds and egg white fluff into a large bowl and mix to completely coat all the almonds. Sprinkle the salt and whichever seasonings you choose and toss well with a fork to get even coverage. Pour out onto a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes. They turned out perfectly roasted but I think the spicy version could have had a little bit more kick. Perhaps I will increase the cayenne to a full tablespoon next time. I may try other variations (spicy mustard?!). Im sure this would work for other nuts as well (adjusting roasting time to best suit the nut)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!