Sunday, November 2, 2014

Raw Kale Salad Recipe


Have you tried raw or massaged kale salads?  They were all the rage a few years ago but this trend has stood the test of time.  

I almost always have kale growing in my garden.  It's cold hardy and can be grown from early spring through to late fall.  I grow several varieties, curly, Toscano (sometimes called dinosaur kale), ragged, or red Russian.  I love them all.

I usually use a mixture of the different types and this recipe is no different.  

Ingredients
2 large bunches of kale, stems removed, leaves washed and spun dry
1/4 cup olive oil
2 crisp, sweet apples (Fuju, gala, pink lady), chopped into bite size pieces
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1-2 Tablespoon honey
salt and pepper to taste

Tear the kale leaves into bite sized pieces, you can also cut the kale but I find it easier to tear as I wash the kale in a sink full of water.  Dry the kale with a salad spinner or blot with a clean kitchen towel.  Excess water will dilute the dressing.  Toss the kale with the olive oil to coat then massage the kale with your hands for several minutes.  The kale will darken and wilt down.  Mix the vinegar and honey and toss with the chopped apples (the vinegar will prevent browning). Toss the kale, apples with dressing, and raisins.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Just before serving toss in the roasted sunflower seeds.

Because kale is such a sturdy green, this salad keeps well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.  The seeds may get soggy so add them in just before servings.  The raisins may slightly plump in the dressing, I like them this way but if you do not, you can add them just before serving with the sunflower seeds.

1 comment:

  1. That seems, by all accounts, to be fantastic anyway i am as yet not very beyond any doubt that I like it. centrifugador de lechuga

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!