Monday, January 26, 2015

How to Make Rose Beads


I had a bunch of dried roses collecting dust on my mantel.  They were given to me years ago.  I used the petals from these dried flowers to make these rose beads.

These were very simple to make and the beads are very fragrant and beautiful.  I love the natural texture and earthy color.

The beads will shrink as they dry so be sure to make the beads larger than you want your finished beads, and make the whole larger as well.

If your beads seem crumbly or crack easily as you are forming them, you may need to add a bit more water.  I just dip my finger tip into a bowl of water and use that small drop of water to smooth over any rough or cracking areas.




Thanks so much for stopping by.  If you are making rose beads yourself, leave me a comment.  I would love to know what you plan to make from them.

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to preserve roses! I've never seen this before and found it fascinating. Could I use herbs to do this? Basil comes to mind. I always have more than I can use for cooking and more than I need to dry for winter cooking.

    Thanks for the fun idea.

    tkdla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know! I would love to hear how they turn out with basil if you give it a go. I'm curious too! :)

      Delete
  2. I made rose beads a few years ago from the wild beach roses near me. I did not dry the petals but blended them in a food processor and then simmered them in a cast iron pot. My whole house smelled like roses. This year I collected roses petals again, but also added daisy petals and mint leaves from a women's celebration of summer solstice. The clay smells of roses and I do not detect a mint scent. I intend to roll beads as a group and then another time string them together.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!