You will need small amounts of acrylic worsted weight yarn. Use a size G crochet hook for a 0-6 month size and size H crochet hook for a 6-12 month size. You will also need a blunt yarn needle for weaving in ends, a tape measure or ruler and a pair of scissors.
Spiral Baby Mittens
Note: This pattern is worked in a spiral fashion with 2 colors joined onto the work through out the pattern. You will be only working with one color as a time. When you leave a color, pull up a long loop to help prevent your stitches from being pulled out during handling. When you pick up that color again, make sure you pull the working tail to pull the loop back down onto the hook so you will have an even tension.
- With the first color, ch 4, working into the top loop only, 2 sc in 2nd ch from the hook, 1 sc in top loop of next ch, 2 sc in top loop of next ch, pull up a long loop
- Turn your work upside down, working into the other loop of the foundation chain, join on contrasting color and ch 1, 2 sc in the other loop of the st you just worked into, 1 sc into the other loop of the next st, 2 sc in the other loop of the last st, pull up a long loop
- Pick up the first color and pull the loop back down onto the hook to ensure an even tension. Working around in a spiral fashion sc into the stitches of the contrasting color. You will not join round with a sl st and you will not turn your work. Place 2 sc in the first st, then 1 sc in each of the next 3 stitches down the long side, pull up a long loop
- Pick up the contrasting color again and repeat step 3
- Pick up the first color and place 2 sc in the next 2 st, then 1 sc in each stitch down the long side
- Pick up the contrasting color and repeat step 5
- continue spiraling around, increasing by 2 stitches on the short ends, until you have 20 stitches around
- Once you have 20 st you will not longer be increasing on the short ends. Place 1 sc in each stitch. Continue spiraling until the mitten measures 3 inches long (for 0-6 month size) or 3.5 inches (6-12 month size)
- Next you will work one row of eyelets to lace the drawstring through. To make this row you will *ch 1, skip 1 st, 1 hdc in next st, repeat from * around until you have 10 holes. The 1st and 10th hole will end up on different rows, this is expected and the nature of spiral crochet. Once the drawstring is in it will not be noticeable. The next row (in the other color) will be worked over this eyelet row by placing 2 sc into the ch 1 space.
- Now continue sc in each st for 3-4 more rows to make a cuff. Increase each row by 2-3 st evenly around. These increases will help the cuff flare out a bit and make it easier to get onto baby's hand.
Once the cuff is as long as you like, fasten off the 2 colors by working a final sl st into the mitten and fasten off the first color. Work the second color over the previous color, put 1 sl st into the sl st on the previous color, then 1 sl st into the mitten and fasten off. Weave in ends.
For the drawstring: Ch 60, fasten off. Tie an overhand knot at each end, weave through the eyelets and tie a bow
Please link back to this original pattern when sharing.