Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Curly Crochet Christmas Ornament ~ Pattern and Video Tutorial


I love soft, lightweight ornaments.  You can hang them low without worries of babies or kitties breaking them and you can hang them on even flimsy Charlie Brown style trees without the branches sagging too much. This ornament is incredibly quick and easy to make.  I can make one up in about 5 minutes with about 5 yards of yarn.  You can make them in all sorts of bright colors.  Make up a bunch to give to friends and family but make sure you keep a few for yourself.

This pattern uses US crochet terms.  If you have any questions, leave a comment and I will be sure to get back to you.

You can use any type of yarn (or even thread) for this pattern.  In the tutorial I used Red Heart Super Saver and a size G hook but any hook that matches the yarn you are using would be fine.  Gauge is not very important for this pattern as a slightly larger or smaller ornament would still work and look lovely.  Other than that, the only other tool you will need is a pair of scissors.



BLO - back loop only
ch - chain
dc - double crochet
sl st - slip stitch

Curly Christmas Tree Ornaments

Leave a 6 inch tail at the beginning 
Ch 18 (you can adjust the number of chains, but I recommend not going any shorter than 12 ch) 
3 dc in BLO of 4th ch from the hook and in each ch to the last 2 ch
2 dc in BLO of second to last ch, ch 3, sl st into that same space (the second to last ch)
Ch1 to fasten off, pull a long tail (about 6 inches), clip your working yarn and pull the yarn through that last ch.  Pull snug to tighten that last chain down.
Pull the beginning tail snug to tighten the last ch of the foundation chain down.
Holding the two long tails together, tie an overhand knot to create a hanger, clip the excess tails for a tidy finish.  Shape the ornament with your fingers in whatever shape you like.  


Thank you for checking out my pattern and tutorial!  Feel free to use this pattern for yourself or to give as a gift.  Please link back to this original blog post or the video tutorial when sharing.

You may also be interested in 
Mini Woven Basket (could be used as an ornament)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!